City of Carlinville, Il
- Aging residential region of City, plagued by pressure problems, water main breaks, and customer complaints; and under-sized water main.
- City looking for fast-track project completion schedule.
- Design-Build project delivery method selected.
The Design-Build Process
- Study/assessment of various alternatives for both existing and projected residential water demands. Water main sizing considered future growth/capacity. Water main design considered various relocation/replacement alternatives.
- Engineering design and IEPA permitting concurrent with Contractor/City meetings regarding sizing and constructability considerations. Development of plans/specifications/cost estimates streamlined. Collaboration with City operations staff throughout the design-build process.
- No bidding/award phase saved time on schedule.
- Construction administration and observation services reduced, saving time and money.
- 2,400 LF of new 6-inch PVC water main, fire hydrants, gate valves, and related appurtenances.
- 81 service connections to new water main, and abandonment of old water main.
- Partnership and cooperation at all stages among City/HCS/Contractor/Engineer.
- Faster project delivery schedule, and more efficient use of City funding, than traditional Design-Bid-Build project delivery approach. No change orders were issued.